Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » Introductions and Social Chat

Post subject: The thoughts of a white person
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 am 
New Arrival

Nation: none
When I think of how the white man has treated native people all over the world it's hard not to feel ashamed. I know there are good and bad people in this world. But shall one dwell in the past and only focus on all that is negative? how do we go forward to live in peace and harmony with each other. There must be a way?

Another thing that disturbs me is that I have not got many friends. But one who is an old school friend is a rasist of big proportions. She's always going about talking bad about poeple with dark skin and black hair. I feel most uncomfortable in her presence. She's nice and so but when it comes to understanding other peoples cultures and religions and just accepting them as your fellow man she's hopeless. Another one of my few friends she has a boy friend who is so hostile towards people. For example here in Sweden we have got many refuges who comes from African countries. That guy really scares me. I dont know if I can be friends with the woman who is his girl friend. One time I visited them and I said that I wished that my eyes were dark and my hair black. He had a fit and said to me that if I wished such things I could leave.

Can anyone help me I have lost my center. I dont know what to do. I don't want to express rasist feelings. I dont like myself when people around me makes me say things
I dont want to say. How am I to be strong and to stand up for what I feel. If losing those so called friends just because I express my opinion in some matter are they really
true friends?

Another problem is that from a rather young age I got a very negative impression from my father. He had a camping place. His worst troubles was with Gypsies. One time I asked him what is wrong with gypsies? He said that they were theves and they always made a big nuisance of them selves. They made a big mess were ever they went.

One time I remember that my father was about to run a gang of gypsies away. He had closed the gates. I was standing infront of the gate. My father quickly told me to get behind the gate. Because if I didn't the would run me over with their cars and kill me!!!
How crazy is that. How can people react so strange just because we have different skin
color, different religions and traditions.

It's my firm belief that people should be them selves and act according to their beliefs their traditions and religions. As long as nobody get's hurt by peoples actions anything
goes.

Post subject: Re: The thoughts of a white person
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:14 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Nation: Shawano
When the twister tail grub beetle spin or my favorite Mepps Rooster Tail

fail, I'll always keep some night crawlers or helgramites handy.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:53 pm 
Great Eldar Shaman

Nation: xolatl
venting :?:

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:04 pm 
Ranked Tribe Member

Sounds to me you are a weak person..... if you allow your friends or so called friends to make you say things you don't want to say! That is what you said in your post....please correct me if I am wrong. I have been around racist people in my lifetime but never once did I do as they do!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:01 pm 
High Chieftan

Hello Dark Wolf,

First you must accept yourself for who you are. You must love yourself in a healthy way before you can accept and love others. While I was living in Singapore waiting for my late beloved husband to get his visa to the U.S., I often saw t.v.ads for whitening skin. It was very sad to me that beautiful women could not accept themselves as they were.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:52 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Nation: Canadian
Dark Wolf 44 wrote:
When I think of how the white man has treated native people all over the world it's hard not to feel ashamed. I know there are good and bad people in this world. But shall one dwell in the past and only focus on all that is negative? how do we go forward to live in peace and harmony with each other. There must be a way?

It's not a skin color issue, it's a human issue. When any human exploits or abuses another wo/man - it's something that we need to pay attention to, speak against and set a better example of though our own actions.

Quote:
Another thing that disturbs me is that I have not got many friends. But one who is an old school friend is a rasist of big proportions. She's always going about talking bad about poeple with dark skin and black hair. I feel most uncomfortable in her presence.

Perhaps you can be the one who sits down with this "friend" and tell her how her racism is offensive. If you do nothing about it, then your silence can be interpreted as an agreement.

Quote:
Can anyone help me I have lost my center. I dont know what to do. I don't want to express rasist feelings. I dont like myself when people around me makes me say things
I dont want to say. How am I to be strong and to stand up for what I feel. If losing those so called friends just because I express my opinion in some matter are they really
true friends?

Reminds me of a saying - something about how one is judged by the company they keep. I think the dark wolf needs to find a new pack.

Quote:
How can people react so strange just because we have different skin

By feeling threatened by something that is different.

Quote:
It's my firm belief that people should be them selves and act according to their beliefs their traditions and religions. As long as nobody get's hurt by peoples actions anything
goes.

Ya but the racists are being themselves and acting in accordance with their beliefs, traditions and religions. As for no body getting hurt ... to the racist, their victims are "no body" and therefore are held to different standards.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Ayrmetes93 wrote:
Dark Wolf 44 wrote:

It's not a skin color issue, it's a human issue. When any human exploits or abuses another wo/man - it's something that we need to pay attention to, speak against and set a better example of though our own actions.

Quote:
Another thing that disturbs me is that I have not got many friends. But one who is an old school friend is a rasist of big proportions. She's always going about talking bad about poeple with dark skin and black hair. I feel most uncomfortable in her presence.

Perhaps you can be the one who sits down with this "friend" and tell her how her racism is offensive. If you do nothing about it, then your silence can be interpreted as an agreement.

Quote:
true friends?

Reminds me of a saying - something about how one is judged by the company they keep. I think the dark wolf needs to find a new pack.

Quote:
How can people react so strange just because we have different skin

By feeling threatened by something that is different.

Quote:
goes.

Ya but the racists are being themselves and acting in accordance with their beliefs, traditions and religions. As for no body getting hurt ... to the racist, their victims are "no body" and therefore are held to different standards.

Tell me, if an Indian man or women stands up to a non-Indian racist, does that make him or her a racist ? Racism is one terrible aspect of humans, but what about those who are bias against or hope to erase another's culture, or else re-invent it into something else ?

Sometimes I've seen such people as being 'bad medicine' or else 'no body' as surely as they see those unlike themselves as being the same. Some of my relations say -"Leave them be, just walk away, find another place to make camp" but if at every shady bower one would make camp, there are mosquitoes and biting deer flies, then why not say 'enough is enough' and proceed to make a smokey fire to keep such pests in check, or else drive them away ?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:08 pm 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Pellethie wrote:
Sometimes I've seen such people as being 'bad medicine' or else 'no body' as surely as they see those unlike themselves as being the same. Some of my relations say -"Leave them be, just walk away, find another place to make camp" but if at every shady bower one would make camp, there are mosquitoes and biting deer flies, then why not say 'enough is enough' and proceed to make a smokey fire to keep such pests in check, or else drive them away ?

I like that. Smokey fire indeed.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:37 am 
Junior Tribe Warrior

Ayrmetes93 wrote:
Pellethie wrote:

I like that. Smokey fire indeed.

Indeed

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:26 pm 
Tribe Member

Well i am a "white person" as well and will admit on occasion ive had racist thoughts for particular peoples but ive never let it out on anyone and its always been when ive been in high emotion and angry. Theres a saying i heard once that racism establishes racist stereotypes which then become policy, being British and English this goes a bit deeper as there is a superiority complex in the character of the British/English which the ancestors of the people on this forum no doubt experienced first hand. Historically it can appear a benign interest in "developing" peoples and land but it really was insidious profiteering based around racism and usurping the indigenous and anglicising them and it is continuing to this day. That racism has been and is used as a tool in such a way to destroy different peoples and their cultures makes me try my best to keep those feelings away.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 am 
Ranked Tribe Member

Anyone hear about the Vern Traversie case? An elder that goes to the hospital in South Dakota and has K's sliced into his chest & stomach area.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:39 pm 
Junior Tribe Warrior

english person wrote:
Well i am a "white person" as well and will admit on occasion ive had racist thoughts for particular peoples but ive never let it out on anyone and its always been when ive been in high emotion and angry. Theres a saying i heard once that racism establishes racist stereotypes which then become policy, being British and English this goes a bit deeper as there is a superiority complex in the character of the British/English which the ancestors of the people on this forum no doubt experienced first hand. Historically it can appear a benign interest in "developing" peoples and land but it really was insidious profiteering based around racism and usurping the indigenous and anglicising them and it is continuing to this day. That racism has been and is used as a tool in such a way to destroy different peoples and their cultures makes me try my best to keep those feelings away.

I think the key point here is that you were aware of it and you chose to behave in a respectable manner.

Last edited by Ayrmetes93 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:53 pm 
Junior Tribe Warrior

whitewind wrote:
Anyone hear about the Vern Traversie case? An elder that goes to the hospital in South Dakota and has K's sliced into his chest & stomach area.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pital.html

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:46 pm 
High Chieftan

Hi Whitewind,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention, and thank you so much, Ayrmetes, for posting the link to the article. There are absolutely no excuses for this horror! There is no question about the validity of what the Lakota man and his witnesses say happened. The evidence is horrifically clear. I have no words to say how I feel about the medical staff at this so-called hospital. Actually, I do. But Ollan would most likely delete my message as it would be filled with lots of expletives. I can only say I strongly hope that medical staff gets what's coming to it. I also send love and blessings to this Lakota man and his family.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

whitewind wrote:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:22 pm 
Great Eldar Shaman

Nation: xolatl
good grief a white person started this thread concerning racism

everybody blah blah about how it should be handled.

then up pops a accusation from a person that had major surgery.

give it a rest people, i have a hard time believing a professional medical

staff would even think along those lines.

Theresa13 wrote:
Hi Whitewind,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention, and thank you so much, Ayrmetes, for posting the link to the article. There are absolutely no excuses for this horror! There is no question about the validity of what the Lakota man and his witnesses say happened. The evidence is horrifically clear. I have no words to say how I feel about the medical staff at this so-called hospital. Actually, I do. But Ollan would most likely delete my message as it would be filled with lots of expletives. I can only say I strongly hope that medical staff gets what's coming to it. I also send love and blessings to this Lakota man and his family.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

whitewind wrote:

Board index » Village Forums » Introductions and Social Chat