Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » Politics and Political Issues

Post subject: how much coal settlers use per day, and
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:15 pm 
Warrior

Nation: mutt
Received a thought about a week ago that got me to wonder about coal use and ask some significant questions. I wondered, how much coal does the average rock concert use?

Well, I didn't find that one, but i did find this:

Quote:
Again, how much coal did you burn today? If you live in an area where most of the electricity comes from coal, the amount of coal you burn will astound you. Your family burned 30 pounds of coal today. And you’ll burn another 30 pounds tomorrow. And the next day.

The average household in the U.S buys, on average, 900 kWh of electricity per month, roughly every 30 days. If we multiply 30 days times 24 hours, we find that there are 720 hours in a month. The average household, therefore, is responsible for consuming 1.25 pounds of coal per hour (900 kWh = 900 pounds divided by 720 hours). (Note: your mileage may vary, as we are assuming an ‘average’ house here. Check your utility bill for the past 12 months for your actual kilowatt-hour usage.) There are 8,760 hours in a year, so if we multiply 1.25 pounds by 8,760, we find that the ‘average’ house using 100% coal-generated electricity is responsible for the burning of 10,950 pounds of coal for the electricity they consume per year. That’s nearly 5.5 tons!

source: how much filthy coal did you burn today?

a comment i made at this site:

Imagine people who want to go to rock concerts being responsible about their coal use by giving an hour or so to off-grid ways to make electricity for the show. Imagine that they could mount one of many bicycles (hooked up to generators, or whatever) and ride to get 50% off their ticket price, or something like that!

====
Just getting settler people to know of their coal use could be a helpful way to educate folks about coal being taken from Indigenous lands.

Board index » Village Forums » Politics and Political Issues