Village of First Nations

We are descendants of the Original Peoples, and it was our Ancestors who formed the FIRST NATIONS.

Discussion Forums

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Village Forums » General Discussion

Post subject: Hallucinogens As Spiritual Tools
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 am 
Chieftan

There are a lot of different topics that are brought into my awareness as concentrated streams of information.
One of them is hallucinogenic drugs as a spiritual tool.

The first time I became aware of it, it frightened me. I judged it pretty harshly.

The next few times, I learned a little more.
I learned that it is an ancient ritual. I learned that when the spirit of the plant is respected and in pure form, it has wisdom, and it is safe.

Still, I found myself wondering about the people who take these drugs without any proper upbringing. They go to the shaman for a week visit and trip out, which I feel is safe for them at the time. What about after they get home? Have they left a door open in their psyche that they don't have the mental strength to monitor or close if they need to?
What happens when they continue taking the drug in unmonitored settings?

This past time that it came into my awareness, I came across some videos taken during a get together of spiritual leaders from indigenous cultures from across the world.
One of them spoke of peyote.
He said there is a difference between being under the influence of the medicine, and being the medicine.
He described his initiation of taking the medicine until he thought he was full, then having to keep taking it until it reached his spirit~the area above his head. Only then, he said, was he ready to be the medicine.

Now, how many people using hallucinogenic drugs in their quest to find answers actually do that?
Not too many, I'd say.
It bothers me, just a little.

Ashashane

Here's the link to the video if you are interested. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEtAk446U4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Post subject: Re: Hallucinogens As Spiritual Tools
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:24 pm 
High Chieftan

Dear Ashashane,

There are many so-called shamans out there, and it's scary just how many of them believe they are true shamans. SHUDDER! Of course, there are many fake ones who know they're pulling a scam. I know Peyote is taken by members of The Native American Church. Those people are trained in the ways to use this plant, and it's a very important part of their spirituality. Taken in this way it should be honored. Taken without spiritual training by those who are qualified to teach you is asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned. I would never take peyote, because I've been through too much to trust myself. I'm afraid the tragedies in my life would loom too clearly while under the influence of peyote.

Walk In Balance,
Deer

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 pm 
Great Eldar Shaman

Nation: xolatl
peyote could be safer than shamans these days.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:09 pm 
Chieftan

Plastic shaman are a topic worth discussing.  I'm not really certain who gives these people a title. 
I feel the word 'shaman' is misused. 
I don't really know what they should call themselves. 
There are people who undergo initiation(s), but I think those are for personal healing. 
I don't think there's a certificate at the end to hang in your new shaman practice. 
However, I do feel that people who have healed their own person are often compelled to help heal others. I also feel that initiation changes perspective radically, and opens some doors into new realities. People who were not born and raised as shaman in an indiginous setting can follow the shaman path, but are they really shaman?
Is it semantics?
If someone undergoes the intense training and healing and devotes the years to it, then I suppose they will have great power and they can legitimately heal and further teach. 
There just seems to be a lot of them. 
Like it's a trend. 
It shouldn't be. 

Ashashane

Board index » Village Forums » General Discussion